2007 Topology Workshop
November 28 - 29, 2007
Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea
The aim of this workshop is to encourage academic activities in the area of
geometry and topology in Korea and promote friendly relations between researchers
in this area.
OrganizersSang-Jin Lee (Konkuk University)
Sone, Won Taek (ICU)
Hong, Sungbok (Korea University)
All lectures will be in Room 221 of the College of Science at Konkuk University.
November 28, 2007
|11:00-12:30||Won Taek Song
||The hyperbolization of irreducible atoroidal Haken 3-manifolds I|
|12:30-14:00||-- Lunch -- |
|14:00-15:30||Won Taek Song
||The hyperbolization of irreducible atoroidal Haken 3-manifolds II|
|16:00-17:30||Won Taek Song
||The hyperbolization of irreducible atoroidal Haken 3-manifolds III|
November 29, 2007
|| Sungbok Hong
||Curve complex, disc complex and their applications to low dimensional topology
- Won Taek Song: The hyperbolization of irreducible atoroidal Haken 3-manifolds
We review the proof of Thurston's hyerbolization theorem.
After working on some preliminaries on hyperbolic geometry and Teichmuller spaces,
we give a sketch of the proofs.
For non-fibered 3-manifolds McMullen's proof will be explained,
and for fibered 3-manifolds the proof in Otal's book will be used.
- Sungbok Hong: Curve complex, disc complex and their applications to low dimensional topology
Briefly, we will overview curve complex and disc complex.
And then we will discuss their applications to
(1) classification of tunnel number 1 knots (due to Darryl McCullough),
(2) bridge numbers of hyperbolic tunnel number one knots (due to Jesse Johnson) and
(3) distance of Heegaard splittings of knot complements (due to Maggy Tomova).
For any inquiries on the workshop, please contact
Prof. Sang-Jin Lee
Dept. Math., Konkuk University
1 Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin-Gu, Seoul Korea